Happy 3rd Week of this year's share! (Thanks to Instagram user chefmbhamel for this pastoral shot from the herb garden.)
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
Pizzas for Sale at the Farm Today and Saturday: We are cooking pizzas in our clay oven this week! Today we start at 3:30pm, and we'll stop after we've sold 50. Same story on Saturday, beginning at 1:30. $10 donation per pizza is welcome (cash or check).
Grass-Fed Beef for Sale. We made an announcement earlier this week that grass-fed beef is for sale. Get the details here.
Send us your photos! Each week, we aim to feature a CSA member's photo in our updates. You'll see a few in this week's update. It can be a photo you snap of the vegetables you receive, a photo of a dish you make with the share (like the one below), or photos from a visit to the farm. There are two ways to get them to us: email us your own photos or post them to Instagram with hashtag #ClagettFarm. We'll feature them here!
THIS WEEK'S SHARE
1/2 pound greens (choice of spicy mix, arugula, bok choy, as well as some kale and collards)
3/4 pound total combination:
- garlic scallions (last week! next week we'll have garlic scapes)
1 pint strawberries
WHAT'S ON U-PICK:
- Strawberries! You can u-pick today (Wednesday) or tomorrow (anytime), Saturday afternoon, or anytime Sunday and Monday. There are a bunch of strawberries and more will be coming. Come and get them!
- Herbs (oregano, thyme, mint, sage, sorrel, parsley)
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT WEEK:
- Next week's share should be similar to this week
- We'll likely add bok choy or Chinese cabbage
- We'll have garlic scapes instead of garlic scallions
Alexis from Farm to Feast Catering shared this recipe for Asian Garlic Scallion Paste, a great way to use some of the excellent spring garlic scallions in your share. Some of you may have sampled it at last week's pick-up. Have a recipe to recommend? Let us know!
Asian Garlic Scallion Paste
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Serves: 6 to 8 people
● 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
● 1 pinch kosher salt
● 1 teaspoon sugar
● 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
● 2 tablespoon Tamari/soy sauce (use Tamari to maintain gluten free)
● 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
● 6 cups small scallions, ends trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
1. Clean and rough chop garlic scallions, up to where the dark green leaves start to branch out.
2. Place all ingredients into food processor or blender and process/blend until smooth.
3. Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes to an hour to meld the flavors.
Uses: As marinade on grilled meats or vegetables. Mix with equal parts sour cream/yogurt (to taste) to make into a dip for vegetables or chips. To heighten dip add a squeeze of Sriracha.
Paste freezes well in ice cube trays for future flavor addition to stir frys, soups, or sauces.
That's week 3! Let us know if you have any questions!
~ The Clagett Farm Team