This gorgeous photo from the farm, from seeding_suns on Instagram, could almost be an Impressionist painting. Something from Georges Seurat, maybe, or Camille Pisarro.
Okay, okay. Enough Photoshopping. Want to see your photos featured in this weekly email? Just snap a pic and either email it to us or post it to Instagram with the hashtag #ClagettFarm!
We hope you all had a wonderful July 4th week, and you're excited for normal CSA pickups to resume today and Saturday.
A Preview Of What's to Come: Below this week's share you'll find a lengthy update on the status of various crops. Don't miss it!
Clagett Farm Grass-fed Beef sale: The sale is still happening! Here's all the details -- including information on pricing and cuts. As we shared before the July 4 holiday:
At the Farm Pick-Up, 1-lb. packages of Clagett ground beef are for sale now, for $10/lb. We should continue having beef for sale by the piece during the weekly pick-ups throughout the season.
And the ground beef is also now available at the Dupont Circle pick-up as well. If you'd like to purchase some beef, please email Garrett at least 24 hours in advance of the next Dupont pick-up. Here's how you can purchase some beef:
1. At least 24 hours in advance of the Wednesday pick-up (that's any Tuesday by 6 pm), email Garrett at firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the following information:
Your telephone number
The number of pounds you would like to purchase
The Wednesday in which you would like to pick up your beef order
2. Once at the pick-up, you can pay with cash or check.
WHAT'S IN THIS WEEK'S SHARE?
- 1 head garlic
- 1/2 pound beans
- 1 pound cucumbers
- 3/4 pounds total combination squash and shallots (the shallots are great!)
- 1/4 pounds total combination spicy mix, tokyo bekana, chard, rhubarb or basil
ON U-PICK THIS WEEK:
- Lots of herbs: garlic chives, thyme, oregano, sage, sorrel, onion chives, cilantro, dill, basil, celery leaf, parsley, borage (edible flowers)
- Basil: Genovese, Tulsi, Thai, Mrs. Burns Lemon, Round Midnight, Fino Verde.
NOTE: There is a LOT of basil so pesto eaters should start stocking their freezers. There's a field by the wash station with lots of extra basil and flowers.
- Flowers: As always, any flowers on the farm can be picked.
WHAT'S AHEAD: AN UPDATE ON CROPS
Here's an update on how the harvest is looking:
- Overall, the share is smaller this week than we want, due to the long wet spell that we had in the spring. Because of all that rain, our summer crops are lagging. But don't worry, we'll get more soon! We have two fields of tomatoes that are not far behind.
- We've spent a lot of time this past week weeding and irrigating, to help our crops as they grow this month.
- The peppers and eggplant are looking lively but are slow to develop. At first, the problem was too much rain; now it's not enough rain - they are picky!
- Critters continue to be a challenge. Raccoons attacked our first round of corn - we're not sure how the rest will fare. And just last night deer attacked the tomatoes that are in the high tunnel. We're not sure how the deer got through, but we're taking immediate action to secure the high tunnel.
- We're very happy with our alliums this year - the garlic, shallots and green onions have all been great, and we'll have bulb onions coming soon.
- Also coming soon: more summer crops (squash, tomatoes, eggplant, etc. ).
That's it for the week! Enjoy the share!
~ The Clagett Farm Team