This week's photo is from CSA Member Laura, who captured this shot on a visit to the farm. Get your photo featured here by emailing it to us or by using the hashtag #ClagettFarm if you share your photos on Instagram!
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
Kale Cook Off Is This Weekend - RSVP now! We've gotten a great response to the Kale Cook Off happening on June 7 at the farm. We hope you can join us, too! RSVP now and let us know if you can make it! The RSVP deadline is this Friday!
Call for volunteers: We can still use extra hands on the farm if you'd like to help out! More info here.
THIS WEEK'S SHARE
- 1/2 pound total combination kale + collards
- 1/4 pound total combination lettuce, spicy mix, basil + spinach
- 1 and 1/2 pounds total combination turnips, radishes, kohlrabi + garlic scapes (Want some garlic scape inspiration? Here are some great recipe ideas, and here are some more)
- Choose 1 -- If you pick up at Dupont, you'll have a choice between strawberries and peas. For those who pick up at the farm, you'll choose from zucchini, rhubarb, peas and carrots. These are all crops with small yields so far, so we're trying to spread the love. Thanks for being flexible!
WHAT'S ON U-PICK:
- Kale, but only for those making a kale dish for this weekend's Kale Cook Off.
- Strawberries! These may start to fade soon, thanks to all the rain we've been getting. So get them while the getting's good! For now, they're still available to pick any day, any field, as much as you'd like.
- Mulberries: We have lots of mulberry trees on the farm, and a few of them have begun ripening. To spot a ripe tree, look for one with ripe berries that have fallen to the ground beneath it. (Careful about eating too many underripe mulberries -- they can taste delicious but make you rather sick!)
- Herbs: Sorrel, sage, onion chives, garlic chives, summer savory, thyme, dill, oregano, anise hyssop, mint, parsley, celery leaf, stevia, chamomile, marjoram, lavender and five types of basil (Thai, opal, cinnamon, holy and lime basil). We especially have lots of dill -- you can wrap it in plastic and store it in the fridge for weeks and weeks!
- Flowers -- Plenty in bloom all over the place, and sunflowers are just beginning to show up!
Here's our best guess about what you can expect in the next couple weeks:
- The last of the spring lettuce
- Chinese Cabbage
- We ought to see cucumbers in a couple weeks.
- Zucchini and other summer squash should really start picking up in about 3 weeks.
Let us know if you have any questions!