This photo of one of the Clagett volunteers hard at work on harvest day was posted on Instagram by @chesapeakebayfoundation. Want to see your photos featured in this weekly email? Just snap a pic and either email it to us or post it to Instagram with the hashtag #ClagettFarm!
We've had some wacky weather in recent weeks. We had the driest first two weeks of July on record, followed by yesterday's torrential downpour, which broke some records of its own in parts of the area. Here at the farm, we got 1.25 inches of much-needed rain. A lot of the crops we grow get zero irrigation. And the ones that do were struggling anyway in the dry July heat. So yesterday's precipitation makes a big difference.
NEW INFO on the Clagett Farm Grass-fed Beef sale: Here's all the details -- including information on pricing and cuts.
Now at the Farm Pick-Up, you can purchase all kinds of cuts. Here's a price list:
Sirloin tip: $14/lb
Eye of round: $10/lb
Top round: $10/lb
Bottom round: $10/lb
Sirloin tip: $12/lb
Top round: $12/lb
Eye of round: $12/lb
Short ribs: $10/lb
Ground beef: $10/lb
Stew cubes: $10/lb
And the ground beef is also now available at the Dupont Circle pick-up as well. If you'd like to purchase some beef, please email Garrett at least 24 hours in advance of the next Dupont pick-up. Here's how you can purchase some beef:
1. At least 24 hours in advance of the Wednesday pick-up (that's any Tuesday by 6 pm), email Garrett at email@example.com and provide the following information:
Your telephone number
The number of pounds you would like to purchase
The Wednesday in which you would like to pick up your beef order
2. Once at the pick-up, you can pay with cash or check.
WHAT'S IN THIS WEEK'S SHARE?
- 2 heads garlic
- 1/2 pound total combination beans + chard
- 1/2 pound carrots
- 3/4 pounds zucchini
- 1/4 pounds bulb onions
ON U-PICK THIS WEEK:
- Lots of herbs: garlic chives, thyme, oregano, sage, sorrel, onion chives, cilantro, dill, basil, celery leaf, parsley, borage (edible flowers)
- Basil: Genovese, Tulsi, Thai, Mrs. Burns Lemon, Round Midnight, Fino Verde.
NOTE: There is a LOT of basil so pesto eaters should start stocking their freezers. There's a field by the wash station with lots of extra basil and flowers.
- Flowers: As always, any flowers on the farm can be picked.
That's it for the week! Enjoy the share!
~ The Clagett Farm Team