UPDATE: Sorry for any confusion about what's on U-pick. This week, it's only flowers and herbs. But from June 26 - July 2, you can come pick just about anything on the farm. See the full list below, under What's On U-Pick.
This week's photo of a zebra swallowtail butterfly was snapped by CSA member Suzanne at the farm. Thanks Suzanne!
Happy 7th Week of the CSA season!
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
No Share Next Week! To let our workers enjoy the July 4 holiday weekend with their families, we will not be harvesting shares next week. So there will be no pick-up on Weds., June 29 or Sat., July 2. We'll resume the shares on Weds., July 6.
We're Looking for Volunteers in the Garden: The Farm has recently acquired new planters that are designed so that individuals with limited mobility can more easily access them. The planters are already assembled, are moderate in size, and are placed near the wash station. We're looking for a volunteer or two who would like to work with us on maintaining these planters, including:
- Providing input on what we should plant in them (the farm will do the planting)
- Weed and maintain the planters (again, they're a small space)
- Do some watering of the planters when you're at the farm.
Want to volunteer? Let us know!
CBF's Clagett Farm for the "Reconnecting Our Roots" event coming Sunday, June 26: Those of you on the Chesapeake Bay Foundation's email list may have seen an invite this week to "Reconnecting Our Roots," an event being hosted at the farm on Sunday, June 26. At the event, you'll earn more the farm, food, and the connection between local agriculture and the health of the Bay. More information and registration is available on CBF's website. The event is free and open to individuals of all ages. Lunch will be provided, and the event will be rain or shine. Join us!
Send us your photos! Each week, we aim to feature a CSA member's photo in our updates. It can be a photo you snap of the vegetables you receive, a photo of a dish you make with the share (like the one below), or photos from a visit to the farm. There are two ways to get them to us: email us your own photos or post them to Instagram with hashtag #ClagettFarm. We'll feature them here!
THIS WEEK'S SHARE
2 heads fresh garlic
3 pounds zucchini
1 pound choice of turnips, radishes or kohlrabi
1/2 pound choice of chard, kale or collards
1/2 pound choice of Tokyo bekana, arugula, basil or cucumbers (limit 1 cucumber)
WHAT'S ON U-PICK:
- Herbs (Parsley, sorrel, sage, chives, tarragon, dill, chamomile, oregano, thyme, cilantro, mint, lavender, flowers, basil, savory and more.)
- Flowers There are lots! Come help yourself!
- From 6/26-7/2: Since there's no harvest next week, everything at the farm is fair game for U-pick from June 26 - July 2, including zucchini, cucumbers, turnips, radishes, kohlrabi, chard, kale, collards, Tokyo bekana, arugula, peas and spicy mix. It might be the best time of year to come pick cucumbers and zucchini. (Note: Garlic is not available for U-pick.)
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT WEEK:
- Reminder: There's no share next week. Have a happy 4th!
Kathleen shared this recipe for Garlic Scape Pesto - she substitutes cashews for the sunflower seeds and omits the basil.
And Fred shared this recipe for Orecchiette with Caramelized Turnips, Tuscan Kale, and Cracked Pepper. He used the turnip greens in addition to the kale and used the suggested tip and added Italian sausage.
That's week 7! Let us know if you have any questions!
~ The Clagett Farm Team