Here's where we stand at the moment:
- We have no pick-up site in DC. We're following up on one good lead for a potential site, but we want you all to prepare yourselves for the possibility that we can't deliver to the District this year.
- Does anyone want to offer to do deliveries? Last year all of our Dupont members paid $60 more than the base share price to pick up their share in the city. If you offered to deliver shares to 6 homes, you could make $360.
- Do you have pick-up sites you want to suggest?
- Do you know of other CSAs that have open slots who deliver to the District?
- We will open up shares to new members on March 6, 2012, at 5pm. Starting at that time, the first people who sign up at www.cbf.org/clagettsignup will be offered slots in our CSA. If we still have no Dupont pick-up by that time, I suspect it will take quite some time to fill all of our available slots, so that's good news for those of you who hope to pick up at our farm in Upper Marlboro, MD.
- We have e-mailed order forms to all of our CSA members from last year and prior. Return them soon so we can be sure you get a share before we sell shares to new members. If you didn't get that e-mail from us, let us know!
- We are also taking orders right now from people who live in low-income households and qualify for half-price shares. This includes anyone who qualifies for WIC, SNAP (EBT/food stamps) or social security disability. It also includes households whose income is below 185% of the federal poverty guideline ($20,665 for a 1-person household, and $7,326 higher for each additional person in the home who shares your food budget).
We just planted our first onions and already dealt with our first pests (2 mice in the germination room--R.I.P.). And good news--our rosemary plants are still alive. Keep your fingers crossed!
--Your farmer, Carrie