(This photo from CSA member Krossbow on Flickr)
Of all the items currently in the CSA share, I suspect that Garlic Scallions -- a whole pound this week -- may be the most difficult for some of you to use. Hopefully these ideas will help you find ways to use them in your cooking.
First, a tip on searching for recipes: Look for anything that includes "garlic scallions" or "green garlic." The two terms are interchangeable.
Here are a few recipes to get you started:
- Roasted Lemon and Garlic Scallion Herb Pesto -- This is a recipe from this blog, way back in 2006!
- Spinach and Green Garlic Souffle -- From Epicurious.com.
- Asparagus With Green Garlic -- From NYTimes.com.
- Quinoa Pilaf with Sweet Peas and Green Garlic -- From today's NYTimes.com. Asparagus could be substituted for the peas here.
- Grilled, with a mustard sauce -- Last week, we used our garlic scallions by marinating them in some soy sauce, grilling them for a few minutes until they had a nice, light char, and then served them with a mustard sauce. You can see a very simliar recipe for Charred Spring Onions with Mustard Cream Sauce on our blog.
Other ideas for using garlic scallions? Please leave them in a comment!