(Image via krossbow on Flickr)
Thanks to everyone who attended the picnic last Saturday. About 70 of you came out to the farm for some food and fun. Carrie says the event was "low-key but great!" We raised about $800, which will help the farm grow more produce to donate next year.
And if you hadn't heard, the farm fared just fine during Hurricane Sandy. There weren't any ill-effects at all. None of the produce was lost or damaged -- the farm didn't even lose power.
Believe it or not, this week is the final share of the season! Thank you for you support and comments and good questions this year. Later this winter, Carrie will be sending out a survey to get your thoughts on the season. Stay tuned for that.
Also, as a reminder, we're raffling off a free share for the 2013 CSA. Details on how to enter the raffle are available on the blog. Income from the raffle will help us donate more produce to low-income families, and your purchase is tax-deductible. This is open to non-members as well, so if you have a friend who's interested in signing up for a share next year, this could be a great chance to win it for free!
Since we did not have shares last Tuesday, those of you who missed a share and were not already ahead will be able to double this week. And with that, here are the details for Week 26 -- the final week! -- of the CSA:
4 pound total combination of any of the following, barring the exceptions noted below:
- tat soi
- habanero chiles
- Depending on where and when you pick up, you may also see:
- sweet potatoes
- carrots (1/2 lb. max)
- kale (1/2 lb. max)
- winecap mushrooms (which look similar to shiitakes)
On U-Pick this week:
If you want to come and u-pick, you can find a map of the fields and locations at the Wash Station when you arrive at the farm, denoting where to find the fields listed below. Here's what's on offer this week.
Greens, daikon, celery, herbs (oregano, sorrel, parsley, onion chives, cilantro, stevia, lemongrass, anise hyssop, thyme, lemon balm, sage, garlic chives, mint), flowers (a few left)
- Garlic for Sale: We'll have surplus garlic available for purchase at the pick-up site.
- Cookbooks for Sale: In addition to a couple veggie-focused cookbooks we've been offering -- including From Asparagus to Zucchini and The Grassland Gourmet Fires It Up -- we'll have a couple new titles for sale. Serving Up the Harvest and Tender: A Cook and His Vegetable Patch are both filled with wonderful ways to use fresh produce. Pick up a copy for inspiration for next season -- or as a holiday gift for a foodie friend!
- Beef for Sale: It's the time of the year when the farm is making some beef available for sale. If this is of interest to you, you can get all the details at http://clagettgrassfed.wordpress.com/. Sorry! The beef sale has ended for this year, but we are accepting sign-ups for next spring.
- Christmas Tree Sales are Coming: Later this month we'll be sharing information about how you can purchase a Christmas tree from Clagett Farm. Stay tuned for that.