We're changing one of our weekly harvest days from Tuesdays to WEDNESDAYS this year. And Dupont folks, we're shifting your pick-up half an hour earlier.
Here's the new choices for 2013:
- Dupont Wednesdays, 5:30pm-7:30pm
- Clagett Farm Wednesdays, 3:00pm - 7:00pm
- Clagett Farm Saturdays, 1:00pm-4:00pm
Same locations as last year:
- Dupont: behind 1737 20th St, NW, Washington DC 20009. Enter the alley from S St, between 19th & 20th.
- Clagett Farm: 11904 Old Marlboro Pike, Upper Marlboro MD 20772. Keep left on the driveway, we'll be ready for you at the Washing Station, which is on your right at the top of a hill.
Why the new day? Almost all of our harvesting happens on the day you pick up your food. Just under two-thirds of our members pick up on the weekday harvest. By shifting to Wednesdays, we will be able to harvest more on Wednesdays than on Saturdays, because there are 4 growing days from Saturday to Wednesday, and only 3 from Wednesday to Saturday.
We asked you in our member survey this year if you had a strong preference for Tuesday or Wednesday, and to our surprise, the vast majority of you had no preference at all, with a slight lean of most others toward Wednesday. Terrific! It also helps us at Dupont, because we will be able to use the parking spots earlier in the evening.
There will be no price change this year. We'll keep it the same as it has been for the last two years:
- $515 - Returning members picking up at the farm
- $575 - Returning members picking up at Dupont
- $50 extra for members joining for the first time in 2013
Note that you're a returning member no matter how long it's been since you last joined.
- First week of February, we'll invite past members to re-join. Look for an e-mail from us. We have a few kinks to work out before we can offer you shares, so that's my ballpark estimate of when you'll hear from us.
- March 6, 2013, 5:00pm: We'll open up the web site for new members to sign up.
- May 4, 2013: Spring Meet 'n' Greet to welcome you to the farm for the new season.
- May 15 and 18, 2013: Your first share!
I'm about to place an order for 4000 new strawberry plants. I can hardly wait!
(Image via krossbow on Flickr)