This photo was sent in by Alexandra, featuring little farmer Donald sampling strawberries. Thanks Alexandra! Submit photos to the blog anytime simply by emailing them to us!
It's time for the weekly share update. But first, remember that there are no shares next week, on Wednesday, July 3 and Saturday, July 6.
There will, however, be u-pick next week. Details on that are included below.
What's in this week's share:
- 1 pound total combination Tokyo Bekana + Ruby Streaks* + beans + radishes* + Swiss chard + basil**
- 1 pound total combination kale + collards + bunching onions + bok choy* + turnips* + peas*
- 5 3/4 pounds total combination zucchini + Chinese cabbage + kohlrabi (Kholrabi recipe ideas)
- 1 pound total combination cucumbers + beets + carrots* + garlic
* All the items marked with 1 astericks (*) will no longer be in the shares after we return on July 10. However, they will (with the exception of radises and carrots) be on u-pick next week.
** Basil will be picked for Dupont and will be available for u-pick at the farm. There is "oodles" of basil in the high tunnel at the farm (the high tunnel is the greenhouse with no plastic, just a wire frame).
What's on U-Pick This Week (through Saturday, June 29):
Strawberries. If you find some, you can have them!
Greens: Swiss chard, Collards, Lettuce, Spicy Mix, Arugula, Kale, Spinach and Tender Greens. Note that the lettuces taste best when harvested in the mornings.
Herbs: parsley, sorrel, mint, lemon balm, sage, onion chives (flowering), garlic chives, lavender (it's flowering), chamomile, dill, stevia and thyme. Basil (in the high tunnel) and Thai Basil.
Turnips. Still plenty of them in the fields.
Beans. Note that you should go to the center of the field -- people have been picking them from the edges.
Mulberries. They're plentiful. If you want to harvest some, we recommend laying a sheet on the ground and shaking the tree so that they fall onto the sheet.
As always, any flowers that are growing on the farm are available for u-pick.
What's on U-Pick Next Week (Sunday, June 30 through Sunday, July 7):
In addition to the above, the following will be on u-pick for you to pick any day, in any amount:
- Tokyo bekana
- Ruby Streaks
- Swiss Chard
- Bunching Onions
- Bok Choy
- Chinese Cabbage
As always, check the board at the wash station for updates, and bring a knife and/or scissors with you (as well as bags!).
Questions? Comments? Let us know here on the blog!
Thanks! And have a great July 4th!