Happy Tuesday. Let's get to it!
What's in this week's share:
- 6 pounds total combination potatoes + radishes + turnips + winter squash (recipe idea below)
- 3 pounds total combination tomatoes + eggplant + peppers
- 3/4 pound total combination greens (arugula, spicy mix, ruby streaks and mizuna) + hot chile peppers + tomatillos + okra
- 1 head garlic
A preview of next week:
- More potatoes, radishes and turnips
- No winter squash
- Very few tomatoes, eggplants and peppers
- Maybe bok choy next week
What's on U-Pick:
- Tomatoes! Still on u-pick, though they're dwindling
- Peppers. There are lots of ripe and unripe peppers. Be warned: the field is a far walk or you need a high clearance vehicle.
- Herbs: parsley, sorrel, mint, lemon balm, sage, onion chives, garlic chives, lavender (no flowers), marjoram, stevia, thyme, Thai basil, anise hissop, cilantro, coriander, dill leaf, Mexican sour cucumbers.
- Husk cherries (also called ground cherries). Pick them when the husk is yellow or brown. The fruit inside should be yellow and sweet.
- Flowers (Gladiolas, zinnias and more) - sunflowers are beginning to bloom.
- Swiss chard
- Tomatillos. Pick them when the fruit fills out the husk. The fruit inside should be green and taste like a tart, unripe tomato.
- Chile peppers (we have ancho poblano, black Hungarian jalapeno, Hungarian Hot Wax, Big Jim Anaheim, Joe's Long Cayenne, Chinese Five Color, Maya Red habanero). This week, we have the most poblano, and the least habanero.
- New: Cooking celery
Acorn Squash Ideas!
Eileen submitted a recipe for her favorite recipe for Roasted Acorn Squash Soup. Download the recipe for Roasted Acorn Squash soup!
Have a recipe or photo to share? Email it to us!
Questions? Comments? Let us know here on the blog!
Have a good week, everyone!