This week's photo was snapped at last week's rainy pick-up. For those of you who pick-up at the farm, the Dupont location now has a tent for inclement weather, so those who pick-up at Dupont don't have to bag their vegetables in the rain.
A few pieces of news before we get to the share info:
Fall Festival at the Farm -- The Fall Festival at the Farm is this Saturday, October 19! We hope you'll come out to the farm and join us. At 2P, as the pick-up begins, we'll have hayrides and an all-ages scavenger hunt. Then, starting around 4, the farm staff will be having a potluck. Members are welcome to join -- just bring a dish and hang out with the staff!
Last Shares November 13 and 16 -- After this week, there are 4 more weeks left in this CSA season. As the season winds down, we'll give updates on gleaning that will begin in late November.
Crop Updates -- Here are a few updates on what you can expect in the share over these final weeks:
- We're digging sweet potatoes tomorrow. We'll cure them, and they'll be in the share next week.
- Beets and carrots are coming along slowly, but they'll appear in these final few weeks.
- We're likely to have an abundance of garlic at the very end (stay tuned on that).
- Potatoes and radishes will remain in the share until the end.
- Peppers will end at first frost.
- Eggplants seem to be getting more miniature, so we expect them to leave the shares soon.
- Greens are doing well and we'll have them until the end.
- Sunchockes (Jerusalem artichokes) will be in the final 3 weeks of the share.
What's in this week's share:
- 1 head garlic
- 3 1/4 pounds total combination potatoes + easter egg radishes + hakurei & purple top turnips + bok choy
- 1/2 pound total combination eggplant + sweet peppers + okra + chile peppers
- 1/4 pound greens, including arugula + lettuce + spicy mix + ruby streaks + kale + mizuna + lemongrass
What's on U-Pick:
- Greens, including arugula, Ruby streaks and Mizuna
- Daikon radish
- Herbs: parsley, sorrel, mint, lemon balm, sage, onion chives, garlic chives, lavender (no flowers), marjoram, stevia, thyme, Thai basil, anise hissop, cilantro, coriander, dill leaf, Mexican sour cucumbers.
- Flowers (Gladiolas, zinnias and more) - sunflowers are beginning to bloom.
- Chile peppers (we have ancho poblano, black Hungarian jalapeno, Hungarian Hot Wax, Big Jim Anaheim, Joe's Long Cayenne, Chinese Five Color, Maya Red habanero). This week, we have the most poblano, and the least habanero.
- Cooking celery
Thanks! And have a great week!