Happy Wednesday! Let's get going...
Save the Date:
Fall Festival at the Farm -- Saturday, October 19! More details coming. During the pick-up (roughly from 2-4 pm) we'll have hayrides, music and an all-ages scavenger hunt. After the pick-up, farm staff will be hanging out and having a little potluck around 5P. Members can bring food and join! More on that as the date approaches.
Last share of the season:
A few people have asked when the CSA season will wrap up. For now, we're projecting that the final shares of the season will be November 13 and 16. We'll let you know for sure as the date approaches.
What's in this week's share:
- 1 head garlic
- 1/4 pound total combination greens, including mizuna + Ruby Streaks + Spicy Mix + Collards + Kale
- 3/4 pounds total combination peppers + tomatoes + eggplant + chiles + okra
- 1 1/4 pounds total combination bok choi + arugula
- 4 pounds total combination potatoes, radishes and turnips
What's on U-Pick:
- Greens, including arugula, Ruby streaks and Mizuna
- Daikon radish
- Tomatoes! Still on u-pick, still dwindling. Still lots of small tomatoes.
- Herbs: parsley, sorrel, mint, lemon balm, sage, onion chives, garlic chives, lavender (no flowers), marjoram, stevia, thyme, Thai basil, anise hissop, cilantro, coriander, dill leaf, Mexican sour cucumbers.
- Husk cherries (also called ground cherries). Pick them when the husk is yellow or brown. The fruit inside should be yellow and sweet.
- Flowers (Gladiolas, zinnias and more) - sunflowers are beginning to bloom.
- Tomatillos. Pick them when the fruit fills out the husk. The fruit inside should be green and taste like a tart, unripe tomato.
- Chile peppers (we have ancho poblano, black Hungarian jalapeno, Hungarian Hot Wax, Big Jim Anaheim, Joe's Long Cayenne, Chinese Five Color, Maya Red habanero). This week, we have the most poblano, and the least habanero.
- Cooking celery
Questions? Comments? Let us know here on the blog!
Have a good week, everyone!