Today's photo was emailed in from Carrie, who snapped this photo on the farm last month. Send us your photos and we'll include them in the weekly updates!
Here's this week's update:
Fall Festival is Coming Up in 10 Days!
Fall Festival at the Farm -- Saturday, October 19! We hope you'll come out to the farm and join us. During the pick-up (roughly from 2-4 pm) we'll have hayrides, music and an all-ages scavenger hunt. After the pick-up, farm staff will be hanging out and having a little potluck around 5P. Members can bring food and join!
What's in this week's share:
- 1 head garlic
- 2 pounds total combination potatoes + easter egg radishes + hakurei turnips
- 1 pound greens, including arugula + lettuce + spicy mix + ruby streaks + kale + mizuna + spinach
- 1 1/2 pounds total combination bok choy (see below for a recipe idea) + eggplant + sweet peppers + tomatoes + okra + chile peppers
Recipe Idea: Bok Choy and Mushrooms
CSA members Ian & Melissa wrote in this week with a great recipe idea:
What's on U-Pick:
- Greens, including arugula, Ruby streaks and Mizuna
- Daikon radish
- Tomatoes! Still on u-pick, still dwindling. Still lots of small tomatoes.
- Herbs: parsley, sorrel, mint, lemon balm, sage, onion chives, garlic chives, lavender (no flowers), marjoram, stevia, thyme, Thai basil, anise hissop, cilantro, coriander, dill leaf, Mexican sour cucumbers.
- Husk cherries (also called ground cherries). Pick them when the husk is yellow or brown. The fruit inside should be yellow and sweet.
- Flowers (Gladiolas, zinnias and more) - sunflowers are beginning to bloom.
- Tomatillos. Pick them when the fruit fills out the husk. The fruit inside should be green and taste like a tart, unripe tomato.
- Chile peppers (we have ancho poblano, black Hungarian jalapeno, Hungarian Hot Wax, Big Jim Anaheim, Joe's Long Cayenne, Chinese Five Color, Maya Red habanero). This week, we have the most poblano, and the least habanero.
- Cooking celery
Questions? Comments? Let us know here on the blog!
Have a good week, everyone!