(This photo from CSA member Jon, snapped at the farm during a strawberry picking expeditioin. Email us your photos or post them to Instagram with hashtag #ClagettFarm and we'll feature them here!)
It's Wednesday, which means it's CSA share day!
Here's everything you need to know for this week's CSA Pick-Up:
What's in this week's share:
Here's what you can expect this week:
- 4 pounds total combination garlic scapes + Kohlrabi + turnips (hakurei, purple top, and scarlet ohno) + zucchini
- 1/2 pound total combination Tokyo bekana + tender greens + mizuna + arugula + spicy mix + lettuce + basil + bok choy
- 3/4 pound total combination chard + kale + collards
- For Dupont (1 pint strawberries) -- if you pick up at the farm strawberries are plentiful and on u-pick. We can assist those of you at the farm who may be unable to pick your own.
Kholrabi may maybe foreign territory for some of you. We have an excellent collection of Kohlrabi recipes for how to use it!
What's on U-Pick:
Strawberries -- there are lots of strawberries, and we're removing the restrictions. Check the board at the wash station for where to pick them. Come and get 'em!
Mulberries are ripe. Some trees ripen black, others white. You’ll know they’re ripe when they are soft and fall easily from the tree. There are quite a few trees along the driveway as you go from the washing station to Ritchie Marlboro Road.
Kale and Collards and Swiss Chard. We're switching the fields, so check the board. This is a great time to pick kale and collards -- as the heat intensifies, they will get more bitter. Now is a great time to pick them!
Herbs: lots of herbs available for cutting, including anise hissop, mint, marjoram, chamomile (there’s a lot there, and one of you really needs to pick and dry all those flowers for tea), sorrel, sage, garlic chives, onion chives that are blooming, thyme, cilantro, savory, lavender and nigella flowers.
What's coming up in the share:
Here’s our best guess for what's coming up:
- Arugula, spicy mix, other mustard greens. More chard, kale, collards and scarlett ohno turnips. More purple top turnips, kholrabi, scapes and zucchini.
- Things we're uncertain about: strawberries (we'll see how they do over the next week), lettuces, cucumbers (should be here in 1 or 2 weeks) and cabbage (looking like it'll be 2 weeks from now)
Questions or comments? Let us know!