Instagrammer voat14 posted this artful photo from a recent day she spent volunteering at Clagett. But it was her caption that we really loved: "You betcha I looked like this volunteering on a farm around people I don't know. It's a Buddhist thing. Don't worry about it."
Want to see one of your photos featured in a future email? Send it to us or post it to Instagram with the hashtag #ClagettFarm!
TAKING A WEEK OFF: Before we get to the details about this week's share, we have a very important announcement: Due to the July 4 holiday (and wanting to give our hard-working farmers some time with their families), there will be NO SHARE this Saturday or next Wednesday. After today, the next share will be Saturday, July 8.
To underscore: If you normally pick up on Saturdays, don't come to the farm this weekend; we'll see you on July 8. If you normally pick up on Wednesdays, come today but don't come next week. (After today, the next Wednesday pickup will be July 12.)
Now, here's what you can expect in today's share. (The share on Saturday, July 8 will, of course, differ from this. But there's a preview below.)
- 1 pound fingerling potatoes (from our friends at Jug Bay Market Garden, in Upper Marlboro)
- 1 head garlic
- 2 1/2 pounds squash
- 2 3/4 pounds total combination turnips + cabbage
- 1/2 pound chard
- 1/2 pound total combination basil + lettuce + spicy mix + Tokyo bekana
What to do with that squash and zucchini? Here are some good ideas:
- Saveur magazine has compiled a bunch of ideas for zucchini.
- This Shaved Summer Squash Salad from Bon Appetit looks light and fresh.
- And of course there are more ideas in our archives for zucchini, squash, chard and greens.
As for those turnips, here's a nice recipe for Roasted Baby Turnips with Parsley-Mustard Vinaigrette. Want something even easier? Here's a no-cook recipe for a quick Turnip and Poppy Seed Salad.
WHAT TO EXPECT ON SATURDAY, JULY 8:
The next share will likely include garlic, potatoes, squash, cucumbers, chard, basil and onions.
WHAT'S ON U-PICK:
- Swiss chard
- flowers -- zinnias, lilies, sunflowers and more
- herbs -- sage, garlic and onion chives, thyme, oregano, mint, sorrel, cilantro, dill, lavender
That's it for this week! Enjoy the share!
~ The Clagett Farm Team