This week's photo, of a cute little critter spotted at the farm, is from chesapeakebayfoundation on Instagram. Send us your photos or post them to Instagram with the hashtag #ClagettFarm!
Happy 10th Week of the CSA season, everyone!
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
A REMINDER ABOUT DOUBLING: The summer crops are looking good in the fields but slow to get going. To thank everyone for your patience, we are extending the time you can wait before doubling a missed share to 2 months. We are confident August will bring heavier shares, and we'd like you to be able to take your double shares then, to get more value for your money.
Sign Up Now: Canning Workshops! Each summer we've been very lucky to offer canning workshops to our members, taught by CSA member Susan. If you've wanted some hands-on canning experience and want to learn how to get started, we highly recommend her workshop. There are only six slots available per workshop, so sign up ASAP!
- When: Sunday, August 7 [only 2 slots left!] or Sunday, August 21 [only 1 slot left!], 2-5pm.
- Where: Susan lives near Dupont Circle in DC. We'll give you more details when you sign up.
- Sign up by sending an email to Susan with your preferred date. Classes are limited to 6 participants each.
- What You'll Learn: The basics about canning tomatoes, making jams, relishes and how to deal with high acid foods.
- Cost: Susan only charges a $5 fee for supplies, which includes some photocopies and a jar of something you've made. Keep in mind that no one is licensed, insured, or paid for this activity. Susan offers this class to you because many of our members have asked over the years, and she is willing to do it. Thank you Susan!
If you have any questions about the workshops, please let us know.
Need Fertilizer for Your Garden? CSA Member Susan shared this tip: "I volunteer with Freedom Hill Horse Rescue in Owings, MD. They accumulate a lot of manure, and anyone from farms to small gardeners are welcome to pick it up. Completely free. If you are interested, the best person to contact is Lori Harrington, the rescue's president. Her email is email@example.com
For You Dupont Composters: Some of our Dupont members bring their compost to the pick-up, and we deposit it back at the farm. We're having a bit of a smell issue, so we have a request of you. For those of you who bring very smelly compost to Dupont, we ask that you leave it with us in a bucket with a sealed lid, so that we don't have to open it until we get back to the farm, and then we'll return the bucket next time. If your compost does not smell, you can still drop it off as you have been. Feel free to ask questions about this at the pick-up site.
Save the Date: Burgers and Brews is Sunday, September 25th. Last year the Chesapeake Bay Foundation hosted this fun, ticketed event at the farm. More details to come, but mark your calendars!
Send us your photos! Each week, we aim to feature a CSA member's photo in our updates. It can be a photo you snap of the vegetables you receive, a photo of a dish you make with the share (like the one below), or photos from a visit to the farm. There are two ways to get them to us: email us your own photos or post them to Instagram with hashtag #ClagettFarm. We'll feature them here!
THIS WEEK'S SHARE
- 1 head garlic
- 2 1/2 pounds total combination potatoes + cucumbers (and melons, at the farm pickup, or flowers, at Dupont Circle)
- 1 pound total combination tomatoes + beans + ground cherries + corn (Corn is only for Wednesday pick-up this week)
- 1 pound total combination tomatillos + squash + okra + peppers + chiles + leeks
WHAT'S ON U-PICK:
- Herbs (Parsley, sorrel, sage, chives, tarragon, dill, oregano, thyme, mint, lavender, various kinds of basil, savory, cutting celery/leaf celery, purslane, anise hyssop, and more.)
- Flowers There are lots! Come help yourself!
- Collard greens
That's week 10! Let us know if you have any questions!
~ The Clagett Farm Team