CSA member Megan sent in this shot of a tiny farmer with his sungold tomato harvest. Thanks Megan! And don't forget to send us your photos or post them to Instagram with the hashtag #ClagettFarm!
Happy 18th Week of the CSA season, everyone!
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
Today's Dupont Pick-Up: This week's Dupont pick-up will happen in the regular location. See you there!
Burgers and Brews: Buy a Ticket Or Volunteer! Burgers and Brews, hosted by the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, is coming up at Clagett Farm, Sunday, September 25, 12 to 4pm. There are two ways for you to attend:
- Buy a Ticket! Tickets are now on sale - go to the ticket page to find all the information about the event, including ticket prices and entertainment.
- Volunteer! We are looking for volunteers to help with a variety of tasks, including registration, set-up, clean-up, and helping make root beer floats. Our goal is to get enough volunteers so that we can have four shifts (9am to 12pm, 11am to 2pm, 2pm to 5pm, 4pm to 7pm). Anyone who signs up to volunteer will then get to enjoy the event free of charge either before or after their shift. We just ask that volunteers not consume alcohol during your volunteer shift. But don’t worry, we will be making it fun for volunteers and will make sure you can enjoy the event before or after your shift! Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you can volunteer. If you absolutely can only do one shift over another, please include that in the email.
How much do YOU pollute? Use the Footprint Calculator and Find Out! The Chesapeake Bay Foundation has partnered with the University of Virginia to create the Bay Footprint Calculator: a simple, fun tool that will help you and your family find new ways to reduce pollution and help Save the Bay. Find out how well you're doing to prevent harmful pollution from getting into our waters. Fill out the calculator now and get your score!
Send us your photos! Each week, we aim to feature a CSA member's photo in our updates. It can be a photo you snap of the vegetables you receive, a photo of a dish you make with the share (like the one below), or photos from a visit to the farm. There are two ways to get them to us: email us your own photos or post them to Instagram with hashtag #ClagettFarm. We'll feature them here!
THIS WEEK'S SHARE
- 2 heads garlic
- 1 pumpkin
- 2 pounds total combination tomatoes + peppers + eggplant
- 1 3/4 pounds total combination turnips + radishes + squash
- 1/2 pound total combination okra + beans + greens + cabbage
WHAT'S ON U-PICK:
- Ground cherries* The fruits fall to the ground when they are ripe. Select the ones with brown, dry husks. Inside, the fruit should be orange-yellow. These are also known as golden berries, physalis, cape gooseberry and husk cherry.
- Herbs (various basils, sorrel, savory, oregano, mint, sage, chives, tarragon, lavender, thyme, celery, anise hyssop, parsley.)
- Flowers. Any flowers on the farm are fair game.
- *The Sun Gold tomatoes, cucumbers, tomatillos, ground cherries and okra are in a field surrounded by an electric fence. We must leave the fence on to keep the deer out. If you can't shimmy in without touching the fence, step on it. The electric current will not pass through the soles of your shoes.
- †We pick okra on Wednesday and Saturday mornings, so you'll find the most if you harvest on Tuesdays and Fridays. Be careful not to confuse the flower buds (inedible) with the small okra pods (delicious). If you are an inexperienced picker, we recommend using pruners so you don't accidentally snap off the top of the plant. We also recommend wearing gloves, long sleeves and long plants because the foliage can irritate your skin.
That's week 18! Let us know if you have any questions!
~ The Clagett Farm Team