This week's photo was snapped by Instagram user organicknitter. Get your photo featured here by emailing it to us or by using the hashtag #ClagettFarm if you share your photos on Instagram!
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
REMINDER: No Share July 1 and July 4. We typically have 1 skip week during each season, due to the July 4 holiday and the transition from spring to summer crops. Therefore there will be no share for July 1 and July 4. There will however be an extensive list of crops on u-pick. More on that below.
Kale Cookbooks Are Still Coming. We've put together a cookbook of members' favorite kale recipes that we'll have available at next week's pickup after we resume the share on July 8 and 11.
THIS WEEK'S SHARE
2 heads garlic
½ pound total combination Swiss chard, kale, collards and assorted greens
¾ pound carrots
¾ pound total combination beets + green onions + tomatoes
2 1/2 pounds total combination kohlrabi, heads of cabbage (1 head limit), cucumbers
WHAT'S ON U-PICK THIS WEEK:
- Mulberries: We have lots of mulberry trees on the farm, and a few of them have begun ripening. To spot a ripe tree, look for one with ripe berries that have fallen to the ground beneath it. (Careful about eating too many underripe mulberries -- they can taste delicious but make you rather sick!)
- Herbs: Sorrel, sage, onion chives, garlic chives, summer savory, thyme, dill, oregano, anise hyssop, mint, parsley, celery leaf, stevia, chamomile, marjoram, lavender and five types of basil (Thai, opal, cinnamon, holy and lime basil). We especially have lots of dill -- you can wrap it in plastic and store it in the fridge for weeks and weeks!
- Flowers -- Plenty in bloom all over the place, and sunflowers are just beginning to show up!
Next week gleaning
The farm will be opening for gleaning next week. Details will be at the wash station but here's our best guess about what will be available to glean:
- Tomatoes (these are early tomatoes and there aren't that many – it’s not time to come and pick for canning. That will come later in the season.)
- Cucumbers (this IS the time to come pick cucumbers if you want to do pickles)
When we return on July 8 & 11, we expect to have:
- Varieties of summer squash
- More beans
- Red cabbages
- Swiss chard
- Peppers (they're getting close)
Let us know if you have any questions!