This week's photo is from the farm staff, who snapped this photo of the squash harvest. Send us your own photos of what you see at the farm or what you're cooking with your weekly share, or post them to Instagram with hashtag #ClagettFarm. We'll feature them here!
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
Have Some Extra Dishes Around Your House? We're still in need of dishes to be donated for the farm. If you have some, we'd love to have them. More details in this blog post.
Reminder: Fall Festival is Saturday, September 27! Each September we hold a Fall Festival at the farm. This year, we'll do it on Saturday September 27, from 1-4PM. There will be hay rides and music, and we'll break in our new pizza oven! The event is free and open to everyone, but we might ask you to pitch in a little money for food and drink. Mark your calendars -- we hope to see you there.
Interested in Buying Some Local Honey? It's available for $10 for a 1-lb. jar, from one of our CSA members in Rockville. (Or, rather, from his bees.) You can purchase it at either of our pick-up locales.
THIS WEEK'S SHARE
- 1 head garlic
- 5 pounds of winter squash (pumpkins, spaghetti squash, acorn squash, long pie) *
- 4 1/2 pounds total combination peppers + eggplant + tomatoes
- 2 pounds of potatoes (red skinned, white flesh potatoes)
- 1 1/2 pounds total combination of radishes + turnips
- 1/2 pound total combination okra + chiles + beans
- Choice of either:
- 1 pound kale, collards or bok choy
- 1/4 pound greens, with choice of arugula, spicy mix or Tokyo Bekana
* if you had a problem with your winter squash last week, let us know and we'll replace it!
THIS WEEK'S TIP: STORING OR EATING SQUASH
When to use or store the squash! All can be eaten right away. And you can also wait and eat them. The pumpkins and the long pie squash will sweeten over time. The flavor of the spaghetti squash and acorn squash should remain the same.
What's on U-Pick:
- Ground Cherries. Still there!
- Herbs: onion chives, sage, garlic chives (with edible flowers), savory, thyme, tarragon, lavender (but it's not flowering), parsley (small amount), oregano, sorrel, basil (7 varieties!), stevia, marjoram, anise hyssop.
- Medicinal Herbs: Passion flower leaves, echinacea flowers and leaves, wormwood, hyssop, and calendula flowers.
What You Can Expect in the Coming Weeks:
- We should have 2 or 3 more weeks of potatoes.
- Okra should continue for a while -- it's growing like gangbusters.
Tomatoes are not on u-pick (we're still picking) but we will either notify you when green tomatoes are ready for picking OR we'll pick them and include them in the share.
Peppers and Eggplant are slowing down but will stick around for a few weeks.
Hakurei turnips and Watermelon Radishes and other varieties of these will continue for the next few weeks
- We hope to harvest some Chinese cabbage soon, but they seem to be under attack by our local deer.
- Sweet potatoes have really perked up now that they're fenced in and we're waiting until they're caught up and more substantial in size. It's a big field and they look great.
- Butternut squash and Gold Nugget Squash are coming soon. We hope to have some leeks (a trial run crop for us this year) at some point as well.
Questions or comments? Let us know!