This week's photo is from CSA member Fred, of peppers from last season. Don't worry -- this year's will be just as pretty! Get your photo featured here by emailing it to us or by using the hashtag #ClagettFarm if you share your photos on Instagram!
THIS WEEK'S SHARE
4 pounds tomatoes
3/4 pound total combination tomatillos + onions + Swiss chard
3/4 pound total combination cucumbers + okra + peppers (all kinds--sweet peppers, unripe bells and hot chiles)
1.75 pounds squash
1 head garlic
WHAT'S ON U-PICK THIS WEEK:
- Tomatoes! This week and next will be the best weeks for tomato picking. There are two fields available to pick from, but neither is especially easy to get to. Plan to walk up a hill or bring a sturdy, high-clearance vehicle. Also, please remember to close the gate when you leave. We need to keep the deer out of your sweet potatoes and winter squash.
- Culinary Herbs: Sorrel, sage, onion chives, garlic chives, summer savory (lots!), thyme, dill seed, oregano, anise hyssop, mint, parsley, stevia (lots!), nasturtium, marjoram, and five types of basil (Thai, spice globe, opal, cinnamon, holy and lime basil) + Genovese basil in the high tunnel.
- Flowers: Check out our 2015 flower guide if you're wondering what you're picking!
- Medicinal Herbs: holy basil, echinacea, alfalfa, calendula, wormwood, and skullcap
- Ground cherries. They are starting to peter out. Get them while you can!
Next week, we expect to have:
More tomatoes, garlic, squash, peppers, chiles, okra and a few cucumbers and eggplant. Onions, beans, tomatillos and chard will make appearances over the next few weeks.
If you plan to can or freeze tomatoes, you should do it this week or next for maximum variety and flavor. Enjoy! And have a great week!