Here we go -- week 1!
Just a reminder: there is a new location and a new pick-up time for the Dupont Circle pickup this year. For those picking up at Dupont today, your pick-up occurs on Tuesdays, 6-8 pm behind Dupont Circle Physicians Group at 1737 20th Street, NW. You can find the pick-up on the south side of S street between 19th and 20th. There is parking for the doctor's office in the alley just behind 1737 20th Street, and the table will be set up in those parking space. Here is map of the location.
And with that, here's what you'll find in this week's CSA Share:
- 1 pound choice lettuce + kale + collard greens
- 1/2 pound choice spinach + arugula + spicy mix
- The spicy mix is pretty large. You can either chop it up and eat it as a salad or you can wilt it in a pan with olive oil and serve it as a side.
- 1/2 pound garlic scallions
- 1 pound popcorn on the cob (see note below about how to cook it)
- 2 seedlings (options include kale, rosemary, blue potatoes, lettuce, chile peppers, oregano and a few parsley plants. We will not have tomato plants this year. We hope to have basil in the coming weeks to offer you.)
- A half pound bunch of asparagus (if you didn’t get it last week at the Meet 'n' Greet) or a similar amount of rhubarb (we're still in the process of harvesting the rhubarb right now)
- One pint strawberries. We’ll definitely bring berries to the Dupont pickup. For those picking up at the farm, you can pick as much as you want from the field.
How to Cook Your Popcorn Kernels
Not sure what to do with kernels of corn? Here are three options:
- Either clean out microwave and watch it pop off the cob (super entertaining!)
- Or put it in a paper bag to pop in the microwave
- Or twist off the kernels sort of like you’re ringing out a towel and pop on the stove (so much less fun, and who doesn’t at least have a neighbor with a microwave, or a microwave at work for this fun little stunt?)
Let us know how you cook yours!
On U-Pick this week:
If you want to come and u-pick, you can find a map of the fields and locations at the Wash Station when you arrive at the farm, denoting where to find the fields listed below. Here's what's on offer.
- Strawberries are back on the u-pick list from now until the end of the day on Saturday. E and D fields.
- Herbs: Oregano, onion chives (edible flowers), garlic chives, cilantro (a little), sage, sorrel, thyme, lemon balm. We killed off our mint because it was growing out of control. We’ve re-planted a little into a planter, and we intend to plant more. We’re looking for a really good spearmint. If you have some growing in your yard that you like, please bring us some plants!
- Kale, collards and lettuce from the D field.
- Any flowers are always fair game.
A preview of next week:
Here's what you can expect in next week's share:
- Lettuce, spinach, arugula, spicy mix, Swiss chard
- Kale, collards
- Seedlings (potentially)
- Loose kernels of popcorn (probably about a half pound)
- Herb bunches
- Radishes or turnips (probably a choice of the two, but not sure yet)
In the meantime, do you have questions? Comments?
Leave them here on the blog!
Photo above via TheBittenWord.com