The metropolitan Washington Smart Growth Alliance (“WSGA”) runs a program that promotes the top regional conservation priorities each year. This year's priorities, announced at a recent press conference are:
- The National Mall, Washington, DC
- Port Tobacco River Watershed Restoration Plan, Charles County, MD
- Mattawoman River Watershed Plan, Charles and Prince George’s Counties, MD
- Merrimac Farm Preservation, Prince William County, VA
- Agricultural Reserve Building Lot Termination Program, Montgomery County, MD
- Four Mile Run Restoration Plan, Arlington and Alexandria, VA
WSGA is a group of “strange bedfellows” who came together in 2002 to promote “smart growth” across the greater DC region. Comprised of the Metropolitan Washington District Council of the Urban Land Institute, the Metropolitan Washington Builders’ Council, the Coalition for Smarter Growth, the Metropolitan Washington Board of Trade, Enterprise Community Partners, and the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, WSGA runs a “Smart Growth Development Recognition Program” that endorses specific development projects that meet a set of smart growth criteria, in order to help them move forward.