Get yourself fresh, local Chesapeake Bay oysters with you CSA pick-up next week to enjoy with the family!
The order deadline is coming up quickly Tuesday, July 14th at 12midnight, so act fast.
Check out this video from Chesapeake Bay Magazine about this Annapolis Oyster Pop-up Event
and the work CBF is doing to support the oyster farming industry!
Annapolis, MD – Harris Creek Oyster Farm Pop Up
Important – Order Deadline:
*Orders must be placed by Tuesday, July 14th by 12midnight
Pop-up Date: Thursday, July 16th from 4pm-6:30pm
How to Order:
About Harris Creek Oyster Farm:
We are 100% family owned, funded and operated oyster farm located between St. Michaels and Tilghman Island, Maryland. We're building on nearly 13 generations of family history farming and fishing on Maryland's Eastern Shore. We’re here to produce a beautiful oyster.
Any questions? Please email Farmer Alex at firstname.lastname@example.org
- You must pre-order your oysters by the order deadline!
- Please bring a cooler with gel packs (preferable) or ice!
- We are using contact-less curbside procedures: wear a mask, you will be asked to open your trunk and cooler (with ice!) and oyster farm staff will drop your oysters in your cooler.
How to Care for Your Oysters:
- How to properly store oysters: place immediately in fridge and cover with a damp towel. Do not allow to sit in standing water. Avoid rough handling prior to shucking. They’ll stay optimally fresh for raw consumption for 7-10 days from harvest and up to two weeks for cooked consumption.
- How to properly shuck oysters: use a knife to shuck from the hinge or the bill. There are plenty of video tutorials online or just ask your handy neighbor! You can also use heat (oven, grill, microwave even) to get them to pop open and then cut the meat free.
- How to properly enjoy oysters: any way you want! Raw, grilled, baked, fried. Naked, hot sauce, lemon & horseradish…the possibilities are endless! This is a chance to get creative with nature’s perfect food.
Why You Should Be Eating Aquaculture Oysters!
- It’s a great time to eat farmed oysters to help save the Bay! Read this Washington Post article on how oyster farms have been impacted by the disruptions to the restaurant industry: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/with-restaurants-closed-oyster-farmers-need-home-cooks-to-start-shucking/2020/04/28/7cf0b4be-8986-11ea-8ac1-bfb250876b7a_story.html
- Learn more about CBF’s efforts to promote the aquaculture industry here: [cbf.org/oysterpopups]cbf.org/oysterpopups and [cbf.org/buylocaloysters]cbf.org/buylocaloysters
- We’re proud to help support fellow Chesapeake Oyster Alliance partners through these Oyster Pop-ups! Learn more about our goal to add 10 billion oysters to the Bay by 2025: http://www.chesapeakeoysteralliance.org/
Can't make the pop-up pick-up times or interested in getting oysters delivered to your home? See our list of local oyster farms providing direct-to-customer services