Before we post the details of this week's share, a housekeeping note:
There is No Share Next Week
As we posted last week, there will be no share on Saturday, July 2, and Tuesday, July 5. We have a "skip" week once each season, and thought that this would be the best time to skip since so many members will likely be out of town.
The regular share schedule will resume on Saturday, July 9. We'll post an update to the blog a few days beforehand with the details.
So if your'e a Tuesday share pick-up, the next share after today is July 12. If you're a Saturday pick-up, your next share is Saturday, July 9. If that is confusing or if there are any questions, you can leave a comment here or email me.
And with that, here are the details of this week's share:
- 1 head of garlic
- 1/2 pound carrots
- 1/2 pound green beans or 1 zucchini
- 1 pound combination rainbow chard OR collards OR turnips OR mustard greens
- 3/4 pound bunching onions OR bulb onions
- 1/2 pound combination lettuce, cucumbers, basil, sugar snap peas or kale
On U-Pick this week:
- Herbs: There is a large variety, including basil, mint, oregano, sorrel, lemon balm, thyme, lavender, sage and others.
- Swiss chard, kale and collards. There aren't great quantities of these items but they're available. You can't drive to the field and it will be a muddy walk, but they're available. Wear sturdy shoes!
- Lettuce. It's a bit bitter and it's best to pick it in the a.m.
- Mulberries are almost gone but still around. We suggest putting a sheet underneath the trees and shaking the tree to harvest them! Here are some ideas of what to do with them.
- Flowers: Any flowers on the farm are yours for picking.
A preview of next week.
There will be no share next week, per the note above. When the season resumes, you can expect to see a radically different share -- more beans, more garlic, more squash, more cucumbers and we'll be on our way toward tomatoes.
If you have any questions, let me know!