This photo was snapped at last week's Dupont pickup by Clay of The Bitten Word. Get your photo featured here by emailing it to us or by using the hashtag #ClagettFarm if you share your photos on Instagram!
- Great news at the farm: It rained! A lot! We've recorded 2.83 inches in the last couple days (with more rain in the forecast). We've been in serious need of rain -- this was the first significant precipitation we've had since July. It puts us in a much better position going into the last 6 weeks or so of this year's season.
- Hurricane Joaquin may impact our weather this weekend (see the date change for the Burgers & Brew festival below). If you pick up at the Saturday share, be sure to check your email before heading out to the farm. We'll send you any updates if the weather becomes a problem.
Date change: Because of the possible local impact of Hurricane Joaquin this weekend, the Chesapeake Bay Foundation's Burgers & Brew event has been moved to Sunday, October 18. The event will feature:
- Delicious sliders made from pastured meats by local chefs
- Thirst quenching craft beers or hard apple cider
- Live Blue Grass music
- Hay rides, and more!
Get all the details on Burgers & Brew -- and buy tickets -- by clicking here.
And don't forget: We'll be holding a Fermenting Class on October 24 in the evening. More details coming soon -- mark your calendars!
THIS WEEK'S SHARE
- 1 lb total combination -- different varieties of greens + beans + hot chile peppers
- 4 lbs of winter squash
- 1. 5 lbs total combination -- summer squash + hakurei turnips
- 1 lb total combination -- tomatoes + garlic
WHAT'S ON U-PICK THIS WEEK:
- New: Bok choy, spicy mix, kale, collards
- Swiss Chard, chile peppers
- Culinary Herbs: Sorrel, sage, onion chives, garlic chives, summer savory (lots!), thyme, dill seed, oregano, anise hyssop, mint, parsley, stevia (lots!), nasturtium, marjoram, and five types of basil (Thai, spice globe, opal, cinnamon, holy and lime basil) + Genovese basil in the high tunnel.
- Flowers: Check out our 2015 flower guide if you're wondering what you're picking!
- Medicinal Herbs: holy basil, echinacea, alfalfa, calendula, wormwood, and skullcap
Have a great week!