As you know, our CSA season officially starts this week (!), with pickups at the Dupont Circle site and the farm.
One quick heads up: It's already U-pick time for strawberries! Starting at 3 p.m. Wednesday, come to the farm anytime you want and pick as many strawberries as you'd like. (CSA members only, please. And if you want to pick strawberries on Saturday, please wait until after 1 p.m. so we have a chance to pick what we need for the weekly shares that day.)
And now here are some reminders about how the regular share pickups work. We'll send out another email tomorrow detailing what exactly is in this week's share.
- Wednesday, May 10
- Saturday, May 13
- At the farm: 1-4 p.m., Clagett Farm in Upper Marlboro, Md.
A reminder of the "rules":
- Your purchase of a CSA membership gives you 26 "shares". A share is the portion of food we have allotted for our CSA members for that week. The CSA is 26 weeks long (mid-May through mid-November with one week off in July), so for most of you, you will continue to take one share per week for 26 weeks.
- You may take those 26 shares any weeks you want, and you may take a maximum of 2 shares per week.
- Some weeks you might choose to skip, and some weeks you might choose to double your share. As long as it all adds up to no more than 26 shares by mid-November, we're all happy.
- This new system makes it a little harder for us to anticipate how many shares our members will pick up in a given week. We consider it a top priority to make sure you have the same WEIGHT and QUALITY of vegetables from the beginning to the end of the pick-up period. However, the people coming in the last 30 minutes to the pick-up might not have the same number of items to choose from. In other words, we will not save all the bruised tomatoes for the end, nor substitute turnips where the early-comers got carrots. But if the people who show up at the beginning get to choose either strawberries or mushrooms, the people at the end might choose between strawberries and sugarsnap peas--same amount, quality and desirability, but not exactly the same choices.
What remains unchanged:
- You do not need to tell us in advance if you plan to skip or double your share that week.
- You may send anyone you'd like to pick up your share. The person should simply tell us that they are picking up for you, and we'll take it from there. We know you're not trying to fool us. It just simplifies our check-off list if the entire family and friend network is not included on the list for each member.
- You may U-pick any day, any time during those 6 months. (Watch the weekly email and check the white board to see what's available on U-pick that week.) It does not matter if you've taken a CSA share that week..
- Every week we donate nearly half of what we harvest to soup kitchens, homeless shelters, food pantries, and other social service agencies in our area that serve people in need. Any vegetables that you don't take will be part of that donation.
- We will list the items in your share on a dry erase board at the pick-up site. So that you may select the items that you like the most, we ask you to weigh out your own share. We do not pre-bag it for you.