This week's photo is from the Chesapeake Bay Foundation on Instagram, encouraging volunteering at the farm: "The first day of #sharkweek2018 is the perfect time to sign up for fun, safe things you can do on land: VOLUNTEER! Workshare your time away with us at Clagett Farm (MD). Help us harvest vegetables for our community programs, and walk away with your own bountiful harvest for a few hours of work! Register today: http://ow.ly/oOwy30l31rE Photo by Lauren Schnabel, CBF intern who eats her veggies." Thanks CBF!
The volunteer pictured here, Carole Grunberg, is competing in the World Masters Squash Championship today. Good luck, Carole! You're already our champion!
Want to see your photos featured in this weekly email? Just snap a pic and either email it to us or post it to Instagram with the hashtag #ClagettFarm!
WHAT'S IN THIS WEEK'S SHARE?
- 2 heads garlic
- 1/2 pound tomatoes from Owl's Nest Farm (one of our neighbors)
- 2.5 pounds squash
- 1/2 pound onions
- 1/2 pound total: leeks + peppers + chard + chiles
ON U-PICK THIS WEEK:
- Malabar spinach: Malabar isn't a true spinach, but it acts as a great substitute in the heat of the summer, when spinach does not grow well.
- Lots of herbs: garlic chives, thyme, oregano, sage, sorrel, onion chives, cilantro, dill, basil, celery leaf, parsley, borage (edible flowers), lemongrass
- Basil: Genovese, Tulsi, Thai, Mrs. Burns Lemon, Round Midnight, Fino Verde.
- Flowers: As always, any flowers on the farm can be picked.
Thanks for your patience, everyone. The weather has been especially trying this year, and we've never had our summer crops delayed by a whole month before.
That's it for the week! Enjoy the share!
~ The Clagett Farm Team