Want to see your photos featured in this weekly email? Just snap a pic and either email it to us or post it to Instagram with the hashtag #ClagettFarm!
STORM'S A-BREWIN'...: Of course we're tracking Hurricane Florence as it moves into our area this week. As of right now, we're planning to go ahead with the Saturday pickup as usual. But if it becomes hazardous for us to continue the harvest -- or if the conditions aren't safe on Saturday for people to be out on the road -- we may have to cancel. Check your inbox for updates.
Right now, it looks like the storm (which has just been downgraded to a Category 3 hurricane) will primarily affect areas to the south of us. Depending on how much rain we get, it could be an end to our tomato and squash crops for the season. And a few of the greens we've got growing in low spots in the fields may be impacted if flooding is a problem. But overall we're crossing our fingers that we'll be mostly spared.
Anyway, for now, everything's going ahead as scheduled.
... AND SPEAKING OF BREWIN': Tickets are now available for the annual Burgers & Brews for the Bay event, Oct. 21 at Clagett Farm! This is an awesome family-friendly afternoon of live bluegrass music, hay rides, fish printing, and fun educational stations. Plus you'll find seven different food stations highlighting local, pasture-raised meats and dairy and local vegetables. Each of these bite sized food items will be paired with a thirst-quencing regional craft beer.
What more could you want from an afternoon? Oh yeah, the proceeds go to an amazing cause: the Chesapeake Bay Foundation's efforts to defend and protect the Bay, including award-winning educational programs, on-the-ground restoration activities throughout the watershed, and advocacy initiatives at both the federal and state level.
It's a wonderful day full of great food and lots of fun. Get more info -- and buy your tickets -- by clicking here.
WHAT'S IN THIS WEEK'S SHARE?
- 1 head garlic
- 2 pounds total combination tomatoes + cucumbers
- 2 pounds total combination eggplant + squash
- 1/4 pound total combination kale + spicy mix + beans
- 3/4 pounds total combination: peppers + baby turnips + chiles + radishes
ON U-PICK THIS WEEK:
- Tomatoes & Tomatillos: We have lots of tomatillos, sun gold cherry tomatoes, some romas, green zebra, garden peach, and a few others for u-pick. We don't have many large slicing tomatoes in the u-pick field, but if you want to can or freeze tomatoes, check out our bin of "culls" (the flawed, reject tomatoes). We always have a lot of those left on the farm after the pick-up is over and we hate to see them go to waste.
- Lots of herbs: thyme, oregano, sage, onion chives, garlic chives, cilantro, basil, celery leaf, parsley, lemongrass, lemon balm
- Basil: Genovese, Tulsi, Thai, Mrs. Burns Lemon, Round Midnight, Fino Verde. There's a field by the wash station with lots of extra basil and flowers.
- Flowers: As always, any flowers on the farm can be picked.
That's it for the week! Enjoy the share!
~ The Clagett Farm Team