Here's your farmer, Carrie Vaughn, showing off the drop-dead gorgeous strawberries the team picked today! Photo by Jared Planz. Want to see your photos featured in this weekly email? Just snap a pic -- from the farm, from your CSA share itself, or even a recipe you make with your Clagett produce -- and either email it to us or post it to Instagram with the hashtag #ClagettFarm!
Welcome to the first week of the 2019 season! Need any reminders of how the share pickups work? Here's everything you need to know.
For those of you who are new, each week we'll let you know What's in the Share, give you an update about U-Pick, and pass along any other updates you need to know. Sometimes, we'll also offer a preview of what produce to expect in the coming weeks.
One thing we want to make clear, since some people have been asking: On Wednesdays, you can either pick up at the Dupont Circle location, from 6:00-7:30, or at the farm, from 3:00-7:00. Your choice! (And of course the Thursday pickup in Annapolis and the Saturday pickup on the farm are good to go as well!)
Let's get on with it!
SHARES ARE STILL AVAILABLE! We have not yet sold out for the 2019 season. Please invite your friends & family to join the farm. Everything they need to now is available online.
THIS WEEK'S SHARE
- 4 seedlings
- 1 1/4 total pounds lettuce + tat soi + spicy mix
- 1 pint berries
- 1/2 pound garlic scallions
- 3/4 pound radishes
- Not sure what to do with those garlic scallions? Here are some good recipes.
- And here's a garlic scallion tip from Farmer Carrie: "I sprinkled some of the minced green leaves of the garlic scallions on my nachos and it took them from bland to addictive. I also made a pesto with garlic scallions, Parmesan, walnuts and spicy mix (instead of basil) and it was great. So I'm basically saying you can combine garlic scallions, cheese and absolutely anything and it will be delicious!"
ON U-PICK THIS WEEK:
In addition to the vegetables we harvest and deliver for the CSA shares, each week we'll let you know the items that are available for you to pick in unlimited quantities out at the farm. You can come and harvest any time that the farm crew is not harvesting for the weekly share. Just check the board at the wash station to make sure that what you want to pick is still available for u-pick.
This week, strawberries are on u-pick, with these guidelines:
- You can pick them today and Thursday.
- There's no U-pick on Friday or on Saturday before 1 pm
- You can U-pick Starting at 1p.m. through Monday at sunset
- No u-pick Tuesday (all day) or Wednesday (before 3 pm)
Come and pick!
Also on u-pick this week:
- onion chives (blooming)
- garlic chives
A PREVIEW OF WHAT'S AHEAD:
- Next week we'll see the first zucchini.
- We expect to have strawberries for the next 3 weeks.
- Garlic scallions will continue next week
- Garlic scapes will likely come in weeks 3 and 4
- We'll see the first lettuce in 2 to 3 weeks
- Tat soi will be in next week's share
- Carrots are coming soon
- Green onions are likely for weeks 3 and 4
That's it for the week! Enjoy the share!
~ The Clagett Farm Team