Is there ANYTHING better than fried okra in the summer? Not in our minds! This yummy-looking okra pic was posted by ianblackwellrogers on Instagram.
Want to see your photos featured in this weekly email? Just snap a pic -- from the farm, from your CSA share itself, or even a recipe you make with your Clagett produce -- and either email it to us or post it to Instagram with the hashtag #ClagettFarm!
A note from Farmer Carrie: "We're grateful for the half inch of rain we got last night. We hadn't had appreciable rain in a month and a half. (True, there's been a bunch of rain around D.C. this summer, but the majority of it has missed Upper Marlboro. We seem to be in a rain shadow!) With all these weeks of temperatures in the 90s, the fields are parched. And because of the dry weather, the deer and groundhogs are getting more aggressive. Over the weekend some deer busted into a fence and ate all of our sweet potato plants. Yikes! So you can expect the share to decline significantly. But the season's not over yet, so don't call us defeated! We have irrigation where we can get it, we've reseeded some crops and we're busy patching fences. Send us an all-day, gentle rain please!"
Want to learning some basic canning skills?: CSA member Kathleen has generously offered to host a canning class next month in her home, giving 10 CSA member the opportunity to learn some basic canning skills. The class is happening, Sunday, September 8, from 2-5, in Kathleen’s home in Alexandria.
- When: Sunday, September 8, from 2-5pm
- Where: In Kathleen’s home kitchen in Alexandria. We'll give you more details when you sign up.
- Sign up by sending an email to Kathleen requesting a slot. Classes are limited to 10 participants and are first come, first served.
- What You'll Learn: The basics about canning tomatoes, making jams, relishes and how to deal with high acid foods.
- Cost: Kathleen only charges a $5 fee for supplies. Keep in mind that no one is licensed, insured, or paid for this activity. Thank you Kathleen!
THIS WEEK'S SHARE
- 2 heads of garlic
- 1 watermelon
- 2 pounds potatoes
- 1 1/4 pounds tomatoes
- 3/4 pound squash
- 1 pound peppers
- 1/2 pound onions
- 1/2 pound total combination okra + hot chile peppers
ON U-PICK THIS WEEK:
- hot chile peppers
- flowers (as always, please feel free to take any of the flowers growing in the field next to the washing station)
- basil - it's a good time to pick holy basil to dry for tea
- lemon verbena
- onion chives
- garlic chives
That's it for the week! Enjoy the share!
~ The Clagett Farm Team