(This image via CSA member Krossbow on flickr)
The harvest has just been completed for today's shares. Here's what you'll find in Week 13 of the CSA:
- 1 head garlic
- 3 1/2 pounds combination corn + potatoes
- 2 1/2 pounds combination eggplant + okra + chile peppers + sweet peppers (limit 1/4 pound) + beans (limit 1/4 pound) + possibly small quanitities of a few other items thrown in
- 4 pounds tomatoes
On U-Pick this week:
If you want to come and u-pick, you can find a map of the fields and locations at the Wash Station when you arrive at the farm, denoting where to find the fields listed below. Here's what's on offer this week.
- Update: Full-size tomatoes are now on u-pick.
- Cherry tomatoes.
- Ground cherries. They're sweet and in abundance. Find recipe ideas below.
- Celery. The celery is too tough to eat raw, but it's great for cooking.
- New: Swiss Chard.
- Beans are in two fields as of this week.
- Herbs: Basil (in the high tunnel). Plus Oregano, sorrel, parsley, onion chives, coriander, thyme, lemon balm, sage, garlic chives, dill seed.
- As always, any flowers are always fair game.
How to Use Ground Cherries
Ground cherries are available in abundance on the farm. They're very sweet and we encourage you to try them if you come out to u-pick. Here are three ideas for putting them to use in your kitchen:
If you pick them, let us know how you use them!
A preview of what's to come:
Purple beans will likely enter the share next week. More tomatoes are on the way. This is the last week for corn, and watermelon has also ended.
Enjoy this week's share, and let us know if you have any questions about your produce or how to use it!
Have a great week,